Thursday, 8 June 2017

Dealing with depression


This post will most probably just be a bulleted list of things I found out throughout the years of dealing with a moderate to severe depression that work. It seems that the old friend is back (woo fucking hoo), I have to revise the plan of action and I hope that this might help someone else besides me reading this and dealing with the same issues. Remember, I'm not a licensed clinician, so there is probably very little to zero research backing my list of recommendations up. If you disagree with something, fuck off! I've bled under the weight of it and I could give zero fucks about some fancy research by a posh med-school graduate. Here's the list itself in no particular order:
  • Have a plan: Plan out the activities for the day or the entire week, stick to it. Even if it feels like nothing makes sense and there is no point of doing the things you've planned out. In other words, keep yourself busy.
  • Do a lot of physical activities: This just works, I usually feel happy after the physical exertion. Don't go balls out because usually you will feel weaker than usual, don't cut your veins if you miss a weight or your results have worsened. Care less, move more.
  • Have sex as frequently as possible: I could have sex 24/7 on my "normal" days but during the periods of depression my sex drive just goes down the shitter. Take my advice and make love to your partner or wank off if you don't have one. Even though you don't feel like it at first - it will feel better after a couple of minutes into the action, trust me.
  • Fucking hug someone from time to time: It feels awkward when a dude wants to hug someone for no reason, but you have to do it. This will help the close ones to understand that you haven't become a distant asshole. 
  • Channel depression into art: Bad emotions and not having emotions equals great and dark art! This does not make any sense, right? How can you create something when you feel empty inside? Well, try it. I've had the best ideas and written some of my best riffs and songs when I had seemingly nothing inside. Once you find that nothing it becomes pants-down awesome!
  • Leave your issues to yourself and don't deal with other people's bullshit: Unlike the popular opinion that you have to communicate with people as much as you can and not withdraw from society in order to heal, I would suggest you to take the time off from the people. I don't know about you but the whole two-way communication and involvement into stuff that I don't really care about drains me and at some point I have to "recharge my long-dead batteries". That said, stay in your head for a while, it is not as scary as it seems at first. Also stop caring about other people's issues, they are their issues for a reason. THEIR ISSUES means that THEY have to deal with them. Just as you have the responsibility to not burden anyone with your depression and fucked up view on the world around you during that period, they have the responsibility to keep their shit to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment