Wednesday, 21 September 2016

Interrupted amidst taking a shit/Psychedelic Southern swag from Philly


My morning routine starts off with me lazily crawling towards the toilet. Half asleep, naked and with a pocket Jesus (read "phone") in my hand. Instead of having a morning coffee ritual like most of normal people do,  I read through my e-mail messages, facebook feed, news and other shit while taking a massive dump. Today was no different from any other day except the fact that I was approached by a band called The Company Corvette from Philadelphia to review their newest album Never Enough. Let's have a listen, shall we?!



Purple haze infused (... and I'm referring to the track name by Jimi Hendrix here) swampy white boy sludge goodness. Groovy drum work combined with fuzzed out basslines and sick guitar solos that are deeply rooted in blues go well with the distorted vocals that vaguely remind me of singing done by Goya's frontman Jeff Owens. The riffs and solos on this record are very wah heavy. In fact so wah heavy that even most of the basslines are wah ridden. Normally I would not consider this a good thing but these guys definitely possess some Southern swagger and pull this off admirably well. I must say that all of the previously mentioned things leave me with a sense that this record is the bastard son of EYEHATEGOD's more bluesy pieces like Southern discomfort and New Orleans Is The New Vietnam with more psychedelic late 70's psych rock. It is a very delicious candy for me to chew on since I'm a big fan of the whole NOLA music scene. All the tracks (Devilwitch, The Stuff and Pigeon being my absolute favourite) tie well into one another and you can actually feel that it is an album instead of just being a compendium of nice riffage and proficient soloing. There are however a few things about the record that I would like to change to make it meet my ugly taste in music even more:
  • Vocals could be a bit dirtier and kept even deeper in the mix
  • At times more punch could be added to the snare drum. That way it would pierce through everything with far more ease and would sound considerably more fitting. A good example of what I'm talking about would be the snare drum sound on Dopethrone's track Vagabond from the Hochelaga album. My rule of a thumb - if the snare is hit and the bass player is not twitching from its sound then the drummer should stop being a sissy and start hitting the snare harder!
All in all a very nicely put together record which has a lot of picturesque and memorable moments. I would rate it a solid 8/10. It is good stuff to put on in a party while you and your friends are getting drunk - it is definitely an easy listen. Highly recommended to the fans of all things Southern and muddy.

Post Scriptum: I would like to thank the band for providing me with the free copy of the album. Cheers motherfuckers and keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment